Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Popcorn Weekly - Cheese Flavored

Yesterday I tried my hand at making homemade cheese flavored popcorn for this weeks popcorn post. 
  • I popped 1/2 cup of organic kernels on the stove as usual using just a little olive oil in the bottom of the pan.
  • Once finished popping I poured 1 1/2 TBSP melted organic butter over the popcorn, put the lid back on and shook the pot to cover the popcorn with the butter.
  • I then added a packet of organic cheese powder** and salt to taste, covered and shook the pot again to mix the cheese powder throughout. 
The flavor of this popcorn turned out fantastic!  The only problem was I burned some of the popcorn by cooking it on too high heat.  I was really looking forward to making and eating this popcorn, so I thought if I turned the heat up on the stove it would cook just that much faster and instead I just ended up burning some of it.  This was really just a result of my own impatience since it only take 3-5 min to cook popcorn regularly...which isn't even long to begin with!  So I learned that you should always cook popcorn kernels on med-high heat to get the perfect pop without the burning!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**There are quite a few options for choosing a cheese powder to flavor your popcorn with.    What I used was an organic cheese powder packet that you would use to make a cheese sauce for vegetables or pasta.
You could also use a dried cheese powder from an organic macaroni and cheese box.  You wouldn't need to use the entire cheese packet and could still make the macaroni and cheese using the rest of the packet with a little fresh grated cheese added.
You could also use grated organic Parmesan cheese.  I am going to try using this next...don't worry, I will let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment