Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Popcorn Weekly - Goose Fat

If you know me, then you know that I love popcorn...actually that may be an understatement...I would probably more likely be described as obsessed with popcorn...lol!
I used to purchase and eat pre-made popcorn by the bag fulls, costing me way too much money!

A few weeks back, we were eating at my brother and sister-in-laws house and my brother decided to experiment with making some popcorn using some goose fat they had leftover from the organic goose they cooked for Christmas.  I have to admit I was skeptical and intrigued all at the same time; on one end I LOVE popcorn, but on the other end who makes their own popcorn anymore...especially using goose fat?!?
He melted some goose fat (2-3 TBSP) with a little butter in the bottom of a pot on the stove, covered the bottom of the pot with the popcorn kernels, covered the pot and shook back and forth over the heat before and while it began popping.  Popcorn is done when the popping becomes less and less, just like when you cook microwave popcorn.  He took the pot off the heat and seasoned with salt.  Needless to say it was outrageously good and unbelievably easy to make!  I couldn't believe how few kernels it took to make so much popcorn and the entire 28oz. bag of organic popcorn kernels only cost $5.99!

After that night, I was hooked...I couldn't believe how cheap, easy and delicious it was!  The next day I immediately went to the store and bought a bag of organic popcorn kernels and tried it out for myself.  I cooked the popcorn the same way using only butter and seasoned it to taste with salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder.  It was also fantastic and incredibly easy.

Since then, I have been thought of so many different popcorn recipes, seasonings and toppings.  My sister-in-law suggested I try out a new popcorn recipe every week and blog about it.  I loved the idea, especially since it means I get to eat more popcorn :-)

So I will be posting new homemade popcorn recipes and reviews here weekly for you to try.  If you have any popcorn recipes you like or any suggestions, I would love to try them!

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. I am also OBSESSED with Popcorn and I have been making my own (on the stove in the pot) for a couple of years now too after trying it at a friends house. It was funny because I first made fun of her for it too but after trying it, and seeing how delicious it was there was no going back! I thought to myself, I learned how to make popcorn this way way back in the day in Europe but after moving to the US, the convenience of microwave popcorn bags took over and well, thats just stupid, why did I ever give in to that and stop making it myself?!? Haha. Anyway, I'm excited to see your new popcorn recipes, Gretchen!!! :)
    -Adisa

    ReplyDelete