Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Beauty Post

The skin is the largest organ of the human body, with a total area of approximately 20 square feet.  So much of what we put on our body is absorbed directly into our skin and what it absorbs goes directly into the bloodstream which is why it is so important to be aware of the ingredients in beauty products you use!

So what products are safe and which should you stay away from?  So many commercial skin care & beauty products are chalk full of chemicals and harmful ingredients such as parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrances, formaldehyde, antifreeze and preservatives to name just a few.
According to The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics website, "Major loopholes in U.S. federal law allow the $50 billion cosmetics industry to put unlimited amounts of chemicals into personal care products with no required testing, no monitoring of health effects and inadequate labeling requirements. In fact, cosmetics are among the least-regulated products on the market. "  Visit their website HERE for more information on Federal, FDA and State rules and regulations.

It can be difficult deciphering which commercial products are really safe and which are just Green Washing (when green PR or green marketing is deceptively used to promote the perception that an organization's aims and policies are environmentally friendly).  A really helpful website to check out is the EWG (Environmental Working Group) Skin Deep Cosmetic Database HERE.  Their database lets you "search more than 79,000 products and provides you with easy-to-navigate safety ratings for a wide range of products and ingredients on the market".  All products are rated based on a 0-10 scale...10 being the worst.

Another option is to make your own beauty products at home.  I highly recommend Sophie Uliano's book "Do It Gorgeously" How to Make Less Toxic, Less Expensive, and More Beautiful Products.  When you make your own beauty products you have complete control over the ingredients you are using...and it is easier than you would think!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below I have compiled a list of the commercial beauty products and brands I use, but keep in mind there are so many safe beauty product options out there...what are you favorites?  I would love to try and review some of your favorite natural beauty products. 
**See REFERENCES below on where to find the products that I recommend in this post

Make-up:
  • Physican's Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer and Blush
  • Tarte Lights Camera Action mascara and Physicians Formula Organic Wear mascara
  • Tarte Eyeshadow and Eyeliner
  • For Nail Polish the natural nail polishes and nail polish removers that I have tried are definitely not up to par with the salon brands I am used to.  As an alternative I always make sure to purchase nail polishes that are DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde free.  I typically give myself manicure and pedicures at home, but when I do treat myself at a salon I usually bring my own polish or pick out a brand I recognize as being DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde free.
  • EcoTools Make-up Brushes
  • Yes to Cucumber Facial Towelettes Make-up Wipes
  • Yes to Carrots Lip Balm - Pomegranate Flavor
     
Hair Care:
  • Avalon Organics Tea Tree Scalp Treatment or Nourishing Lavender Shampoo & Conditioner
  • Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid
  • I don't use hair spray or any other styling products, but there are TONS of eco options out there for those of you that do.  There are some great companies like Aveda and Alba Botanica that offer a wide range of hair care products that are safe for you and the environment.
  • I no longer color my hair due to the harmful chemicals that are in hair dye.  There are other options out there such as vegetable dye and henna.  I have tried vegetable dye before and it did work pretty well, the only problem I found is that it tends to smell pretty bad during the coloring process!
  • I use pretty conventional hair styling tools.  I have had the same hair brush, comb, curling iron and hair straightener forever and haven't had a reason to purchase new ones.  When it does come a time to purchase new styling tools, I know that there are eco-friendly brands out there that I can look into.
Body Care:
  • Avalon Organics Unscented Body Lotion
  • Dr. Bronners Lavender Liquid Soap Body Wash or JĀSÖN® Soothing Aloe Vera Body Wash
  • Eco Tools Loofah Sponge 
      
Skin Care:
  • Trader Joe's Spa Face Wash with Tea Tree Oil 
  • Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Wipes 
  • I also REALLY like the entire Green Science line from Aveda, it just tends to be a little more pricey.  Aveda is also my go-to place for facials.  If you go to one of their schools, it is even more affordable and just as great!
  • Boots Botanics Organic Hydrating Face Cream and Moisturizing Eye Cream
  • Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen - SPF 30 or 45
  • Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanner 
     
Personal Hygiene:
  • Nature's Gate Whitening Gel Toothpaste and Toms of Maine Toothpaste (in a pinch)
    **I always try to purchase fluoride-free toothpaste
     
  • Preserve Toothbrushes and Razors (I also love their cutting boards and tupperware :) 
  • When it comes to deodorant I have tried Tom's of Maine, Nature's Gate, Traders Joe's and JĀSÖN® brand natural deodorants and have yet to find one that truly works... I usually switch back and forth between natural / safer deodorants and conventional deodorants.  I know how conventional deodorants are terrible for you, but I just haven't been able to find a safe alternative that can hold up. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REFERENCES:


Tarte Cosmetics: http://tartecosmetics.com/ 
Always formulated without parabens • mineral oil • phthalates • triclosan • sodium lauryl sulfate • synthetic fragrance

Physicians Formula Organic Wear: http://www.physiciansformula.com/en-us/product-line/organic-wear.html
100% Free of Harsh Chemicals, Synthetic Preservatives, Parabens, Synthetic Fragrances & Colors, GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) and 100% Cruelty Free

Avalon Organics: http://www.avalonorganics.com/
Contain at least 70% organic content  - Safe, Effective, Certified*, Natural Body CareWithout Synthetic Fragrances, Phthalates, Harsh Sulfates or Parabens

Yes To Products: http://www.yestocarrots.com/
An entire line free of Parabens, Petroleum, SLS and Phthalates.  All packaging is recyclable and they use organic fruits and vegetables in their products.

Boots Botanics Organic: http://us.boots.com//webstore/store/shopbootsusa/home.do
A wide range of beauty and health products made using organic plant extracts.

Aveda:  http://www.aveda.com/index.tmpl
Connecting beauty, environment and well-being.  More than 90% of our essential oils and 89% of our raw herbal ingredients* are certified organic

Nature's Gate: http://natures-gate.com/
All of our products reflect ongoing efforts to preserve the earth's natural resources and develop sustainable sources of clean water.

Preserve: http://www.preserveproducts.com/
Preserve® makes stylish, high performance, eco-friendly products for your home.  All Preserve products are made from 100% recycled plastics and 100% post-consumer paper.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps: http://www.drbronner.com/ 
We offer a range of high-quality organic and fair trade personal care products all certified under the same USDA program that certifies organic foods. 

JĀSÖN®:  http://www.jason-personalcare.com/ 
Use natural ingredients proven safer and proven to work together in naturally effective ways.  They select safe, wholesome, natural ingredients and are committed to discovering even more ways to offer personal care solutions safer for us, our families and our planet.

EcoTools: http://www.ecotools.com/shop-collection/ecotools
Our cosmetic brushes are beautiful and show respect for the earth. They are 100% cruelty-free, have incredibly soft bristles made of synthetic taklon and have handles made of bamboo and recycled aluminum ferrules.  Our bath accessories feature innovative, earth-friendly materials such as: sleek bamboo, 100% recycled plastic netting, cruelty-free bristles and also may have soft, natural loofah, cotton, and ramie.

Alba Botanica
http://www.albabotanica.com
We offer natural, 100% vegetarian personal care products that do beautiful for you, your friends and the animals and Earth you love.  Alba Botanica® products are formulated without: parabens, phthalates, artificial colors, propylene glycol, aluminum, mineral oil, petrolatum, oxybenzone, PABA, nano-particles, DEA, MEA or TEA, PEGs and PEG derivatives, ethoxylated ingredients associated with 1,4 dioxane, formaldehyde donors, or GMOs.

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Gretchen! I'm addicted to makeup and sadly, almost everything I use is loaded with chemicals. =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Val!I definitely thought of you while I was writing this post because I know how much you love make-up! There really are so many companies that make safe make-up...I think you would really like Tarte, Josie Maran and Korres brands!
    You don't have to replace everything at once, that would be way to expensive and wasteful! Maybe just try a safer, more natural brand the next time you run out and need to buy something new.
    Let me know if you try something new and if you like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing exactly what you said...slowly replacing my stash! It's pretty extensive and I've spent too much money to throw any of it away. I love Tarte! I have their BB cream and it's great. I've replaced my moisturizer with the Josie Maran Argan Oil. I absolutely love that stuff! My concern is finding a good foundation and eye shadows that have staying power. I'll have to do some more research on it!

    I'm so glad you created this blog! I'll be looking for more beauty posts. ;)

    Miss your face<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, Im so happy you put this post up, Gretchen, thank you!! I have not yet replaced any of my actual makeup with green options but my skin care routine has changed a lot! I got tired of having acne as an adult, its something ive always struggled with, so I have looked into homemade and cleaner/greener options. I have bought a few alba botanica products as well, so Im glad to see that you like that brand too, also I have just switched to Toms of Maine flouride-free tootpaste and love it so far. I will definitely look to this post in the future if Im wondering what to get as far as makeup etc... Thanks again!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete