Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Let them eat Pie!

I love Thanksgiving!  Whats better than an excuse to eat fantastic home cooked food until you can't move and drink and laugh until until your side hurts?!?  I am very fortunate to live in the same city as my parents and my Mom is a fantastic cook!  She goes all out and makes by far the best stuffing imaginable!

I leave the traditional stuff up to my Mom...I mean, if it ain't broke, why fix it?  But, over the years I have come to be a pretty good holiday pie baker...I have even gotten requests for my some what famous Apple Pear Pie.  So, this year I was put in charge of the dessert for Thanksgiving. 

My father and husband would never forgive me if I didn't make an Apple Pear Pie for each of them, plus one for Thanksgiving day, and I really wanted to make one to bring into my work and one for my husband's work.  I also have been told my Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Muffins (which I make from scratch using a whole pumpkin) are really good, so I thought, what the hell...I'll make a Pumpkin Pie for my work and my husbands work and a batch of Pumpkin muffins for Thanksgiving.  I thought, if I'm making one pie...whats six more and a batch of muffins?  Well, needless to say, it was quite a baking experience!
I have to say it was all worth while though when everyone cut into the pies and raved about them...I love that part!

I decided to share these tried and true pie recipes below.  They are both easy, delicious and of course...all organic!
What are your favorite Thanksgiving recipes?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apple Pear Pie

Ingredients
3/4 cup crushed vanilla wafers
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter (melted)
1 ready to use frozen pie crust (I like Wholly Wholesome Organic Spelt 9" Pie Crusts - find them at Wholefoods)

4oz. (1/2 of an 80z pkg.) softened cream cheese
2 Lg. baking apples (peeled and sliced)
1 Lg. pear (peeled and sliced)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Recipe
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a small mixing bowl, combine wafer crumbs, brown sugar & butter until well blended - set aside
Spread cream cheese onto the bottom of the pie crust (it's much easier if the cream cheese has softened)
Sprinkle half of the  wafer mixture over the spread cream cheese and set aside
In a large mixing bowl, combine fruit, sugar, flour and cinnamon - toss to coat the fruit
Spoon fruit mixture over the wafer crumb mixture in the pie crust ans sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture on top
Bake 35 minutes in the oven until crust is lightly browned and fruit is tender
Cover the edges loosely with foil after 25 minutes
Serve by itself or with a scoop of Stoneyfield Organic vanilla ice cream!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
 
Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients
1 pie pumpkin (medium sized)
1 1/13 cup sweetened condensed milk (14 oz container)
1 egg
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg 
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
1 cup hot water
1 ready to use frozen pie crust (I like Wholly Wholesome Organic Spelt 9" Pie Crusts - find them at Wholefoods)

Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cut pumpkin in half without stem and scoop out the seeds and strings 
**(save the seeds and roast with salt & pepper for a delicious, healthy snack)
Place the pumpkin halves cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet and cover with foil
Bake for 1 1/2 hours, cool and scoop out the flesh
Blend the cooked pumpkin until smooth

Change the oven temp to 375 degrees

Beat 1 1/3 cups of the pumpkin with the rest of the ingredients until smooth
Pour mixture into the pie shell    
Bake 55-65 minutes (the center will still move slightly)
Let cool and dig in!! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter - melted and cooled
4 lg. beaten eggs
1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
**You can also use your leftover blended pumpkin from above - 1 pumpkin usually yields enough for 1 pie & 1 batch of  

    muffins

Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg & allspice

In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and eggs
Add the dry ingredients to the large mixing bowl, whisk together until smooth and then mix in the pumpkin
**If desired, you can also add chocolate chips into the batter at this step


Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners - filling each about half way
Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until when you stick a toothpick in the center it comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely
Enjoy!!


**I don't have a picture of the Pumpkin Muffins :(  Will post one after Thanksgiving!




    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment