Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Why Organic?

There are many reasons to go organic.  The main reasons I decided to make the conscious decision to go organic were for mine and my families health and the health of the planet.  I did a lot of research and it was a long journey to get to where I am at today.  I suggest you do your own research and make decisions based on your personal situation.
A really great reference for me was the "Gorgeously Green" book series by Sophie Uliano.  These books really opened my eyes to learning more about the Organic and Green movement and I still reference all three of her books frequently.  I have gifted all of her books to most of my friends and family and have loaned out my personal books many times.  They are all an easy and interesting read that you will find yourself engulfed in for hours.  I recommend all of the Gorgeously Green books for anyone interested in learning more about incorporating being Green and Organic and implementing that into your daily life.
So, why organic?  Well, in a nutshell, I am not comfortable consuming food that has been sprayed with toxic chemicals and has been genetically modified...period.  I don't want to be anyone's science experiment.  Whole foods are so delicious and remarkable on their own, we don't need to modify and overly process them.  As a society, we have come so accustomed to convenient, fast, processed foods and that has come at the cost of our health.
Conventionally grown crops are sprayed with significant amounts of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, rodenticides, and chemical fertilizers and many of the foods you buy in the supermarket are genetically modified or have genetically modified ingredients in them.  Food shouldn't be this complicated.  Food should be enjoyed naturally and organically to get the best flavor, the most nutrients and to make you the healthiest person you can be.  One of my favorite quotes is: "Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food" - Michael Pollan.

Eating organic doesn't mean you have to give anything up either.  Any recipe or meal you love can easily be made with organic ingredients.  There is not one thing me and my family have had to sacrifice in order to eat organic, in fact eating organic has broadened our horizons and introduced us to even more food options and new favorite dishes.

There are millions of reasons to go Organic and millions of challenges that come along with that, especially in the fast and changing world we live in.  I aim to discuss all those topics more in depth in this blog, this is just the beginning!
I urge you to learn everything you can about organic vs. conventional foods and make the decision for yourself.  Below are links to some of my personal favorite and most influential educational resources.  What are some of your favorites?

Here is a link for the Dirty Dozen website - a fantastic guide for what are the most important food to purchase organic.
Here is a link for the Gorgeously Green website for loads of great info on all things organic and green and to purchase any or all of her 3 books.
Here is a link to the Food, Inc. website for more info about factory farming and the state of the food industry.  Food, Inc. is a life changing and must see film.
Here is a link to Michael Pollan's website.  Another fantastically influential food author and activist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment